What is My Next Step If Other Driver in a Car Accident Does not Want to Go through Insurance?

What is My Next Step If Other Driver in a Car Accident Does not Want to Go through Insurance?

No one wants to get involved in a car accident. It is a stressful event that can cause thousands of dollars of damage, and leave everyone with serious and life-changing injuries. However, in reality, the chances are that you will get involved in at least one car accident for every 17 years of life. That is the statistics in the state of California.

Once you get involved in a car accident, you need to know what to do next. The first thing you should always do is try to maximize your chances of obtaining the compensation:

  • Call the police
  • Go to the hospital
  • Take photos of the accident
  • Take information from everyone involved (if you are able to)
  • Take information from eyewitnesses

However, what if the other party involved does not want to go through insurance? Well, you still have a few other options.

Settle With The Other Driver

There is always a good old “let’s settle this over a drink or two” if the accident was just a rear-end bumper collision and the drivers both decide not to stress about it and thank God they are both alive. However, if the damage to the vehicle is substantial, and if one of the parties got injured, it is important to enforce the law and settle in the right way. If the person responsible for causing the accident does not want to go through insurance, it could be for one of the few reasons:

  • The individual does not have the right type of insurance
  • The individual does not have insurance at all
  • The individual wants to try and settle without involving the insurance
  • The individual may want to trick you

You have to be extremely careful in these situations and should always consult with a car accident lawyer in Virginia. As far as you know, you could get tricked into accepting a deal that does not benefit you at all.

You Have Legal Options

Legally speaking, you have the right to file a lawsuit against the party responsible for causing the accident. To do so, all you have to do is consult with your attorney and determine how you want to play things out.

When it comes to obtaining compensation for your damages, if the other party refused to share legal information or does not have any coverage, you can always turn to your insurance company and ask for help. Assuming that you have any of the following insurance policies, you could get help with your bills and vehicle repairs:

  • Underinsured Motorist coverage
  • Uninsured Motorist coverage
  • Collision coverage

All of these policies cost extra, but you can speak with your insurance company before purchasing policy and ask about these options. They are your last resort if the other party has no insurance.

Remember to consult with lawyers at Randall | Page, P.C. as they will help evaluate your case and provide you with as much information as possible, and maybe even helps file a lawsuit against the party responsible, assuming that you are eligible to file one.