Los Angeles Truck Accident: What To Do After An Accident?

Los Angeles Truck Accident: What To Do After An Accident?

Being a truck driver is a very difficult profession, one that requires a lot of hard work, dedication, and focus. Even the slightest mistake could lead to a multi-vehicle accident, and usually, when there are trucks involved in an accident, there are also many fatalities. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there are approximately 400,000 road accidents per year involving large trucks. They are responsible for transporting over 70 percent of the country’s resources.

If you are a truck driver and you find yourself in an accident, you should be aware of the following.

Consult With Your Attorney

The first thing you should always do is call your attorney. Since you will be dealing with a lot of pressure, you need someone with experience handling your case on your behalf. That is where our Los Angeles Truck Accident Attorneys come in. With their expertise and knowledge, they will guide you through the process and help you obtain and secure your compensation.

Do not speak with anyone else other than police without first consulting with our attorneys. Note that everything you say can be used against you.

Comparative Negligence

California is a state where, according to the law, if two parties are both responsible for causing the accident, both parties will share the blame. That means that if you are 10 percent at fault and the other party is 90 percent at fault, you can receive up to 90 percent of the compensation for your damages. The compensation usually covers:

  • Medical bills
  • Property damage
  • Pain and suffering

Causes of Truck Accidents

In the majority of cases, truck accidents are caused by the following:

  • Exhaustion – most drivers are on the clock and will drive 5 to 6 days a week. This can cause great exhaustion and without proper rest, accidents are guaranteed.
  • Distractions – using a phone, eating or adjusting the radio are just some ways of distractions. All it takes is one and the consequences could be fatal.
  • Unsecured Cargo – if the cargo goes loose, everyone on the road is in danger. This could happen either as a result of the driver’s negligence or due to faulty parts.
  • Extreme Weather Conditions – blizzards and snow are the truck’s worst enemies. Be super careful when you find yourself surrounded by extreme weather conditions.
  • Dangerous roads – even the road conditions could cause a truck accident. If the conditions are deemed unsafe, one may be able to sue the government or the parties responsible for maintaining that part of the road.

It is essential to name the right party in your claim. If there is more than one party involved, naming all of them will maximize your compensation. Be sure to call our Truck Accident Lawyers in Los Angeles, schedule a free consultation and receive a free case evaluation followed by legal guidance. Our attorneys will do everything in their power to help you secure your compensation and protect your rights so that you can return to the road and continue with your life as quickly as possible.