I Was Hit By An Uninsured Driver, What Is My Next Step?

I Was Hit By An Uninsured Driver, What Is My Next Step?

You were hit by a driver without insurance – what do you do next? Since the driver has no insurance, there is no way that he or she can compensate you for the damages done. The chances are that that driver probably doesn’t have any money either. Basically, when this happens, you have two options:

  • Underinsured motorist coverage
  • Uninsured motorist coverage

These two types of insurances are designed to help the injured drivers receive compensation after an injury. Here is how they work.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

Even though a driver of a registered vehicle is required to have car insurance, sadly that is not always the case. In many situations, you will find a driver with no more than $20 in his pockets and no car insurance whatsoever. When this happens, you have to turn towards your own insurance company to cover for your damages. That is of course if you are properly insured. Even if you have normal car insurance, that does not mean that you have purchased uninsured motorist coverage. Basically, it is additional coverage that protects you when you are involved in a car accident with a driver who does not have car insurance but is found to be at fault for causing the accident.

Uninsured motorist coverage is not required in the majority of states within the US, but the insurance companies should offer it and explain to you what it means and the damages it covers. This type of insurance never exceeds your standard liability coverage (if you have a standard coverage of $50,000 in liability, you cannot have more than $50,000 in uninsured motorist coverage).

There are many drivers out there who do not have any type of car insurance. If you are caught in an accident, consult with a car accident attorney in Virginia and see what you should do next in case you do not have an additional type of insurance.

Underinsured Motorist Coverage

On the other hand, underinsured motorist coverage is designed to help pay for the difference between the other driver’s total insurance and your losses. If your total losses are $60,000 but the other driver only has $50,000 in liability coverage, the remaining $10,000 will be paid of by the underinsured motorist coverage. Keep in mind that this type of insurance is not mandatory or required in any state, but it is always optional and should be offered by the insurance company.

Collision Coverage

Additionally, you may also include collision coverage to seek compensation for the damages done to your vehicle. However, it will only include the damages done to your vehicle, and not the ones you sustained in the process.

The final option is to file a lawsuit. However, if you live in a no-fault state, your options are limited; you can only sue another driver if you are seriously injured in an accident. Feel free to get in touch with the Virginia car accident attorney at Randall Page, P.C. immediately after an accident. They will evaluate your case, and tell you exactly what to do and expect. Act quickly, as you only have a certain amount of time to get things underway.