How To Decide Who Is At Fault For The Car Accident In Philadelphia?

How To Decide Who Is At Fault For The Car Accident In Philadelphia?

A car accident happened, and there are injuries on both ends. What do you do? How do you determine fault and decide who will cover all the damages done?
In Utah, there are over 1500 car accidents each year, and almost two-thirds of all those accidents involve negligence and reckless driving. If you find yourself in a car accident, here are the things you should do, step by step.

Call an Attorney

Do you have one already? If not, we advise you to contact Philadelphia car accident attorneys right after the accident. They will come to your aid as fast as possible and help protect your legal rights.
The majority of people think that hiring an attorney is expensive and that it may cost more than settling on your own. This is the first mistake people make after the accident. They show up in court without legal representation and lose the case. Best possible scenario – they receive one-quarter of their case’s full value.

Speak with one of our attorneys right after the accident, and let us help you determine the person responsible for causing the accident.

Gather Evidence

Once you safely leave your vehicle, unless you are seriously injured and require immediate medical attention, take a look around. Are there any witnesses? Any signs of the other party’s negligence? Take photos if you have your phone in your pocket, ask the witnesses for their contact information and support, and wait for the police. Once the police arrive, give an honest report of what happened, but never admit that you are the one responsible for causing the accident, even if you are fully or partially at fault. That will be for the insurance companies to decide, once they collide with your and the other party’s attorneys.

Any evidence that may help your case is crucial. No matter how irrelevant something may seem, record it as it may help your attorney during the investigation.

What if you are Both At Fault?

In the state of Utah, it is not that common that both parties are 50-50 at fault. However, it happens and when it does, the state has a clear rule that you can only recover for the damages done to you and your vehicle in the case when your fault is less than 50 percent. Again, this is something that will have to be proven by the attorneys. If you don’t have one, don’t even think about representing yourself. Just call our car accident attorneys in Philadelphia and schedule your initial free consultation. They will help prove you not guilty and do everything they can to help you receive proper compensation for your injuries and damages, as well as fully covered medical costs.

If you were only 20 percent at fault and the other party is 80 percent at fault, you will only be able to recover 80 percent of your damages. Contact our attorneys today and learn more about how fault is determined after the accident.

COMMENTS